!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: So What Would You Do?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline AmericanIcon

• marketplace
So What Would You Do?
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
Had an 'incident' at a national convention over the Independence Day weekend, and - according to 'those in authority' at the event and the local PD, and me in retrospect, I was within both my rights and local law.  I'll describe the circumstances, let anyone who cares to post their possible actions, and give it a few days before posting mine:

The scene was in a 'hospitality suite' in a large Texas city, in a downtown hotel.  I was part of the 'security' team, on a break, having a beer (first and only one of the day, circa 2100.  I was wearing 'tactical' trousers with my Kimber Eclipse Ultra II in an IWB holster @ 4:00, a black T-shirt with a large American flag and the words "Try burning this one" above it and "@$$HOLE" below, and a 5-11 'tactical' vest, in addition to the hat marking me as 'security'.

I was sitting on a couch, having a conversation with another member of the organization, when another individual walks up, 'flicks his Bic', and advances it to within inches of my shirt.

OK, that sets the scene - what would you do from here?

GunLink Discussion Forums

So What Would You Do?
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

Offline masfonos

Re: So What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »
Sounds like reaction would depend a lot on context.  I've worked security at different types of events where various mindsets of the participants make a big difference - from the person at the political rally who's cranky because you want to see in their bag to the drunken meathead gym-rat at the concert who's sure he can whoop you.

What type of convention?  I guess not a church meeting if you're wearing a "try burning this one, @SSHOLE" shirt.  A political rally?  If so, one where you might expect flag burners?  Trade show?  Hobby convention? 

he scene was in a 'hospitality suite' in a large Texas city, in a downtown hotel.  I was part of the 'security' team, on a break, having a beer (first and only one of the day, circa 2100.
First beer for you, but what about everyone else?  Boozing it up?  Falling over?  Standard cocktail party hospitality scene?  9PM at an after-show open bar could be ugly.

You mean you were security for the show and just hanging out in the suite, you were security for the hospitality suite, hotel security, or what?

Is smoking allowed in the suite?  Open flames?  Are you tasked with enforcing fire code?

I was sitting on a couch, having a conversation with another member of the organization, when another individual walks up, 'flicks his Bic', and advances it to within inches of my shirt.
"The organization?"  The organization putting on the convention?  The organization hosting the suite?  The organization providing security? 

Is Bic Flicker part of the organization?  Why's he there?  Is he a belligerent dick, or just some d-bag with a stupid sense of humor?  Unless he seemed like the flag burning/arson/assault type bent on setting you on fire I'm guessing he might be the latter.  Depending on what you did all day, by 9PM your nerves might be raw and tired of dealing with stupid people, but this guy sounds like a candidate for telling to pound before returning to your regularly scheduled conversation with your pal.

But, since you got an opinion of the event from local PD that got involved, I'm anxious to hear where it went.  No mention of FD, though, so I guess you didn't soak him in gin and use his own lighter against him  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:11:04 PM by masfonos »

Offline AmericanIcon

• marketplace
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
OK, valid questions.

It was the annual Mensa convention, the other individual had just entered - no way of knowing whether or not he had been drinking, or if he had, where.

The membership in general runs the spectrum from full-out liberal to slightly to the right of Genghis Khan, activist to vegetable.  The shirt (and others similar) are not uncommon - the event is always over the July 4th weekend - and no 'violent confrontations' have taken place in the 40 years I've been a member.

I was part of the security team for the entire event, and have been so for a good many years. 

The entire hotel is a 'no smoking zone'.

The 'Bic flicker' has somewhat of a reputation as - to put it politely - a butt-nugget, in his local group and in the organization at large.

'Our' security is primarily concerned with ensuring anyone attending any of the functions is registered (and wearing their badges), finding errant children, and attempting to defuse 'situations' - anything beyond that, whether 'confrontations' between members, members and outsiders, and especially outsiders, requires notifying hotel security or, if necessary, police/fire/emt.  As to being 'on edge' due to any other 'incidents', no, there had been none.

As to the 'opinion from the local PD', that was second or third hand through the head of our security, and after the event had ended.

Hope that answers all.

Offline Lebowski

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
Sweep the leg!

Tell him to get that lighter out of my face or it's going where the sun doesn't shine!
The Dude abides.