!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Hi Point 9mm  (Read 9248 times)

Offline bob steadman

• NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, RSO & CCW Instr
    • Tactical Edge Institute/Firearms Instruction
Hi Point 9mm
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
I bought this just to see if it would shoot. As many of you know this is about the lowest cost firearm on the market, and upon receiving it I could see why. This gun is literally the tank of guns. As anyone should; I read what there was in the way of a manual. First The manual is very thin due to no info on field stripping the gun. Hi Point does not recommend field stripping. Why not see how the action works and lock back the slide and give it a little look. It takes the strength of a gorilla to pull and lock the slide back. In the case of this particular gun the slide wouldn't fully lock due to crappy machining. The slide stop notch was not placed far enough forward. Well I was so confident with this gun that once at the range I did the responsible thing and had everybody clear the lanes (The advantages to being an RSO) as I took position. Pull of the trigger and blam. I'll be damned it worked. People didn't know if the look on my face was terror, surprise or relief. It was actually all three. There were some mis-fires. All in all for the amount of time I waited for my gun guy to track one down (you'd think for the low cost they would be flying off the shelves) it wasn't worth it. But those are the things that keep me awake me at night. I would not trust my life on one.
bob steadman

GunLink Discussion Forums

Hi Point 9mm
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

Offline 1slickAR15

Re: Hi Point 9mm
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
I think hipoints get a bad rap.  From other gun guys and shop owners I heard they're hard to find because of their low price, not in spite of it.  They do fly off shelves and thats why they're hard to track down.

At $200 or less, I wouldn't expect a Wilson Combat or a gun like that.  I used to have one as one of my first guns.  It's a heavy, cheap, ugly pistol but I put many 100s if not 1000s of cheap surplus and russian ammo through mine and dont remember ever having any jams, breakage or other problems with it.  Like most of the hipoints downsides, it is heavy and hard to cock because of it's blowback action instead of recoil or gas operation.  The same thing also accounts for some of its upsides too since it keeps it simple (ie cheap).  I never used mine as a "trust my life to it" gun but i don't think i would have much of a problem doing that.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
You're in CA, right?  Did you notice if there were HP .380s around?  I believe that only the the CF380 (.380) and C9 (9mm) are currently on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California.

Offline bob steadman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:20 AM »
I think hipoints get a bad rap.  From other gun guys and shop owners I heard they're hard to find because of their low price, not in spite of it.  They do fly off shelves and thats why they're hard to track down.

At $200 or less, I wouldn't expect a Wilson Combat or a gun like that.  I used to have one as one of my first guns.  It's a heavy, cheap, ugly pistol but I put many 100s if not 1000s of cheap surplus and russian ammo through mine and dont remember ever having any jams, breakage or other problems with it.  Like most of the hipoints downsides, it is heavy and hard to cock because of it's blowback action instead of recoil or gas operation.  The same thing also accounts for some of its upsides too since it keeps it simple (ie cheap).  I never used mine as a "trust my life to it" gun but i don't think i would have much of a problem doing that.

I stand by my initial assessment.
bob steadman

Offline bob steadman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:14:13 AM »
You're in CA, right?  Did you notice if there were HP .380s around?  I believe that only the the CF380 (.380) and C9 (9mm) are currently on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California.

Yes you are correct. They are had o get. I would save your $ and get something decent. I just had $ to play with and though it would be intersting to see how this thing turned out. It's a gun & it goes bang, but as I stated wouldn't (and didn't buy it for self defense) trust my life on it. But to each his own.
bob steadman

Offline 81Raven81

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
I was looking at picking one up just for the sake of having one! I have a few other $200 pistols made by Norinco and I have a lot of fun with them. For $200 why not! I just know what to expect!!

Offline crsmithart

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »
My brother-in-law picked up one in .40 S&W ... I shot it for the first time last weekend and this was my first experience with a HP ... I agree that it was ugly and heavy and cheap, but it operated fine and was accurate on target ... I wouldn't buy one myself, but for $200, it was OK ... I would probably spend another $100 and get the SCCY or Kel-Tec 9mm

Offline DieselDude

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »
They're ugly heavy bricks but they go bang.  I saw online pics of ones that blew up but I also heard that they were faked.  I never saw one in person that had problems and never heard of anyone I know seeing or having one that did.  I wouldnt show it off or brag about it or carry one just because its so heavy but I wouldn't have a problem having one for a range toy to keep round count down on safe queens.  I think they're being more accepted now though and price is going up they used to be CHEAP!

Offline DrFootball

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:50:44 AM »
Im sure it makes a decent "Truck" or Tackle Box gun. I wouldn't mind the HP Carbine in 9MM, esp. with the 15 & 22 Rd Mags from ProMag.....

Offline masfonos

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »
I heard that Tom Deeb, owner of Hi Point, just died.

I think that's too bad.  He made a decent gun that pretty much anyone could afford.  Far better than most other "cheap" guns.

It's a shame that they get a bad rap and scumbags end up using them, but apparently he was a big friend of LEOs.  He would put the S/N hidden in various places around the guns so criminals can't just file off what they see and added certain features to them to make ballistic fingerprinting easier for labs to track down if a case came from one of their guns.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:15:59 AM by masfonos »

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
I wouldn't buy one but wouldn't fault anyone who did. To each their own. If they were that big of junk guns they wouldn't have been around so long I think.