!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: RGUNS Lower Reciever  (Read 6203 times)

Offline masfonos

RGUNS Lower Reciever
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
A while back I bought an RGUNS AR lower receiver.  When I bought it, prices were high, so I no doubt overpaid for it.  Their MSRP is now down to "only" $100 for a stripped lower, which is still way over what you can get them for elsewhere.  I mostly bought it on an impulse and as sort of a hedge I guess since a big panic buy spree was looking like it was going to get worse so it just sat collecting dust until recently. 

I was going to use it for an SBR so I assembled an LPK into it to make sure everything was good and not waste another $200 in stamp money on a crap receiver.  It was a good thing I checked - the thing was a real turd.  Bad machining, out of spec, bad finish, etc.  I looked around online and found some others had similar issues and read horror stories about RGUNS customer service. 

I got in touch with them and they were nicer than I expected from what I had read about their CS.  Some email communication took a little while, but not too long - I've seen much worse.  They had me ship the lower back to confirm that it was bad and they said that they would replace it.  The only hiccup was that they wanted to insist on sending the replacement back through an FFL since it had a new serial number.  It took some going round and round for a while and sending the exact text from the CFR, ATF website, etc. before they apparently got the idea that they could send it back directly.  After my last email explaining the laws, which they ought to know, I got no further communication from them, only an automated UPS tracking email saying that it was on its way back.

The new design of the lower has a big ugly RGUNS roll mark on it, which I don't really like.  It also has a Cerro keyhole marking, which the old one didn't have, so at least they're making them out of decent forgings. The new one appears to be in spec from the brief once-over I gave it but I haven't assembled the LPK back in to it.  I plan on trying to sell this one for around MSRP and buy a couple of cheaper lowers made by someone else.  This one is probably fine, but I'd just as soon not deal with them any more if their QC let the first one out, the email issues, having to explain the law, etc.

I most likely won't buy anything else from them.  They're located in the suburbs of Chicago - maybe that explains some of their attitude  ::)

GunLink Discussion Forums

RGUNS Lower Reciever
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline DieselDude

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Re: RGUNS Lower Reciever
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:44:06 AM »
Sucks that they let a bad one out but it happens.  It sounds like they took care of it.

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
Rguns is junk.  They sent out A LOT Of bad lowers.  Search around the net and you see.  I don't know who holds the FFL now but its def not the old owner since felons can't be FFLs

A gun dealer who owns R Guns, 140 N. Western Ave., Carpentersville, pleaded guilty in Kane County Circuit Court this week to impersonating a police officer, said Jerry Singer, a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

The charge is a felony and the gun dealer, Roger Lee Krahl, will lose his federal firearms license, said Singer.

Judge James Doyle sentenced Krahl to 18 months' probation.

Singer said Krahl, 33, of Algonquin, used letterheads from more than a dozen police departments to make it seem he was a police officer when he placed orders for assault weapons from manufacturers.
Krahl used the letterheads to buy more than 100 assault weapons and accessories.

Yeah, scary ASSAULT WEAPONS!!! 

Rguns is just over a mile from the crook county line i.e. chicago and "assault weapons" are illegal in both crook county and chicago laws.

Sec. 54-212. - Assault weapons, and large-capacity magazines; sale prohibited; exceptions.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire, carry or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine in Cook County. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1) The sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States

8-20-075  Possession of assault weapons.
   (a)   It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess an assault weapon.
   (b)   This section shall not apply to corrections officers, members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers

Shady people.  Run away!

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
Yeah, I'd never heard of them when I got it but I saw a lot of negative stuff about them once I started looking after I figured out how out of spec the original one was.  Getting the whole situation resolved could have been a little easier, but they did get it taken care of.  I read about some people who just dealt with the bad lowers, modded them, or did stuff like use a 9mm bolt catch to make it reach the mag follower, etc. but I did get the impression that there was a good number of bad ones out there.  OTOH, I have seen some OK reviews about their retail store.

I don't know about the owner being a felon.  They're obviously still in business and making/selling guns.  It doesn't really instill confidence though.

Like I said though, I most likely wont be dealing with them in the future.