!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Charles Daly Honcho knock-off Shockwave shotgun  (Read 11576 times)

Offline masfonos

Charles Daly Honcho knock-off Shockwave shotgun
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with these Charles Daly Honcho shotguns?  They started popping up in the LGS around my area. They're basically a knock-off Mossberg 590 Shockwave or Remington Tac-14, a "short barreled shotgun" that isn't subject to NFA because of its overall length.

They make a few different ones, including a 3 barreled thing and a mag fed one, but the only ones I've seen around here are the standard models in 12ga, 20ga, and .410 and they run about $50-100 cheaper than the Mossberg or Remington. The .410 has a spring assisted pump on it, I guess because they figured someone shooting the small bore one might not have the strength to push it back forward?  https://www.charlesdaly.com/category.php?id=28

The raptor grip looks a little nicer than the other ones with textured finger grooves and a pic rail on the pump, but no sling swivels.

The thing I can't get over though is the lack of finish work. It looks like they literally just took a chop saw to a standard shotgun barrel and stuck a blade sight on it. The cut off end of the barrel is just raw steel, not blued or anything and it still has burrs on it. It's ugly and I'd worry about rust there, but some cold blue could probably fix that up.

They also make a semi-auto version with a MSRP of $499, so maybe $400-450 street price, around half of the Remington Tac-13, but I haven't seen any in stores. I like Mossbergs but these are a good bit cheaper (and Mossberg doesn't make a semiauto) and with the cross pin safety, they would be a better fit for putting a pistol brace on it.

I don't know much about CD shotguns - would they be as reliable as the others?

GunLink Discussion Forums

Charles Daly Honcho knock-off Shockwave shotgun
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
Re: Charles Daly Honcho knock-off Shockwave shotgun
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
My brother in law had a couple of them from back in the KBI days. They were OK and pretty reliable but one had problems and their customer service took care of it fast. I don't think they make them themselves and I don't know who makes them now that the original CD and KBI are gone. Chiappa maybe.

Offline hotshotSX7

• GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:50:23 AM »
I think they are Turkish and made by Kahn/Kayhill. If so it's same company that makes the Mossberg Silver Reserve.

Also the page shows says  "Notes: Ambidextrous Sling Attachment" in the description

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
I was back by the gun store for another look and saw that the Honchos they have there definitely have a front swivel mount. You can even see part of it in my first pic. I'm not sure why it isn't shown in the stock photo. I didn't look at it close enough to see if it had a rear mount.

Unfortunately, they said that their distributors don't have the semi auto model available yet. I'm on a mission to find one now.

They did say they had one of the Black Aces semi auto shockwaves come through but it was one that someone ordered in for a transfer and they weren't sure where he got it. I thought the BA ones were built on Remington receivers but their site says that they're aluminum, not steel like the 1100 or V3 receivers and it says that they have Mossberg rear flange and drill/tap pattern. The 930 shotguns all have top safeties though, only the smaller gague Mossbergs like SA-20 have trigger safeties like the Black aces.

https://www.blackacestactical.com/product-page/no-nfa-no-aow-shockwave-semi-synthetic

Which would you recommend?

Offline go4

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Get the Remington over the unknowns.