!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Dang - it's tough getting old  (Read 2167 times)

Offline masfonos

Dang - it's tough getting old
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »
I guess now I can be one of those old guys who complains about not being able to see when shooting.  I went to the range to sight in a new AR upper and put up a big shoot-n-see splatter target at 50m and taped the white backer off of it below the target in case I was hitting low. I'd "bore sighted" at home by shining a light down the barrel and centering the red dot in the light spot on the wall.  I shot 2-3 rounds at a time and was trying to see where they were hitting to adjust the sight and it looked like I wasn't even on paper.  Didn't see anything on the shoot-n-see so I tried a few in the plain white backer and could only see one spot that I thought was a hit, so I gave up after running through one $15 box of ammo.

Went to get my target and I was on paper the whole time. D'oh! Dead nuts on right where I was aiming every time, great groups.  Granted, the target wasn't splattering very well and I'm wearing an old set of contacts that are off by 0.25 power and (any other excuses I can come up with), but dang... I guess I need to start taking binoculars or a spotting scope now.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Dang - it's tough getting old
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »

Offline Rimfire86

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Re: Dang - it's tough getting old
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »
I know your pain - turned 50 and now I need readers for anything in arms reach distance.   I need readers to focus on the iron sights and that makes the target blurry, and if I just wear normal safety glasses the target is in focus, but the sights are blurred.

I am practicing more with a variety of steel targets sizes and regular glasses.  If I hear the steel I know I am good and I move to a smaller size target - kinda of KYL where I know my own limits.  The downfall is less accuracy but quicker target acquisition.

The other method I work with is SSP Eyeware top focals - basically a bifocal with magnification on the top (as I tend to roll my head down a little despite knowing I shouldn't) and no magnification on the remainder of the eyeware.  They are fully ballistic rated safety on both parts and have interchangeable lenses between clear, amber, and smoke. The downfall is longer target acquisition time but greater accuracy.

Either way is going to take a lot more practice and the advance knowledge that I will never group as well as I did when when I was younger.  As long as I can kit a torso sized target on every trigger pull at distances upto 60 yards (the total length of my backyard range) I guess I am doing well

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:43:18 PM »
haha yeah just wait, it gets even better. 

Offline benchrest308

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
haha yeah just wait, it gets even better.

This. 

Forget about bullet holes, be glad you can see your sights!

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:24:38 PM »
Yeah, I can't wait. I'm only in my mid 30s. I still blame the bad contacts. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline MutantMaker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
I realized I was getting old in my late twenties when I was excited about shopping for a new vacuum.

My issue with sights and targets is certain colors (namely red and orange) are blurry to me, even with my glasses. I first noticed that in high school when I had a math teacher that loved to write on the overhead projector in red I just have a really hard time reading:seeing things in those colors.