!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Pros & Cons of a Metal Magazine and Polymer? Jump to Latest Unfollow  (Read 2270 times)

Offline WolfgangKrause

• GunLink Member
Hello all. Yesterday my father and I were discussing what the Pos and Cons of metal and polymer magazine are for the AR platform. What do you all think about this?

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
Re: Pros & Cons of a Metal Magazine and Polymer? Jump to Latest Unfollow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »
Where did you and your father land on metal v poly? I don't care one way or the other they both work fine for me.

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
I got early Magpul AR15 mags and had to return them for a recall. I got early Magpul Glock mags and had to return them for a recall. I also have some MFT polymer AR mags and ETS pistol mags.

When they first came out, I was a little leery of polymer mags. My biggest concern was cracking feed lip spread. The old PMAGS used to come with dust covers but I don't think they do any more. The rumor was that it was less of a dust cover and more to relieve pressure from the feed lips to prevent spread. I don't know. I do know that the polymer ones seem to handle some damage better than metal mags. Bent feed lips, big dents, etc. and a metal mag is done. Polymer won't dent or ding or bend if dropped or hit on something. If they do get damaged it's usually a chip or crack and I've seen some in rough shape keep running.

I saw a couple magpul pmags that got shot by a pistol with chunks knocked out of both sides of the mag body and they continued to work fine. I'm not sure but I would guess that a metal mag would have a ridge around the entry hole that would interfere with the spring.

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 02:26:50 PM »
I wonder if one is cheaper to make but still preferred to be more durable