!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: good first gun  (Read 8976 times)

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
good first gun
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
hello
What is good first gun?  I haven't really had guns before but I have been shooting a few times and have had a gun safety class.  I think I want a handgun intead of a rifle in case I decide to get CCDW license.  I don't have a lot of money so what is a good choice for me?  Please point me in the right direction.  what are good questions to ask at gun store and what should I look for?
Thanks!

GunLink Discussion Forums

good first gun
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »

Offline Sauer

• GunLink Member
Re: good first gun
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
There is no one size fits all. It all depends on your use, your experience, size of your hands...blah blah blah. A smaller pistol is better for CCW, a larger pistol helps a bit with recoil. On the other side, A GSG 1911 in .22 long is awesomely cheap fun! Caliber is another factor to consider. Some swear by the stopping power of 45, some (like me) prefer the smaller, cheaper and much more available 9mm...that is up until shit went crazy a few months ago.
For about $500 you can pick up a quality semi-auto pistol chambered in 9, 40 or 45 from all of the big players. Sig Sauer, Kimber, Wilson will be substantially more expensive but worth the price when you get the money.
Most of the major players offer a pocket size .380 for roughly $350.
Things to research: striker fire, SA/DA vs DAO, polymer vs metal frame, price of ammo (ammo is hard to find these days but you can still see the prices on empty shelves at Walmart).
Do you want a rail for lights/lasers? Guide rod laser? Crimson trace laser? Changeable grips like those offered by Houge? Adjustable/changeable sights.

No one can answer what is the best for you, you have to do the research and balance that against your needs.

In semi auto pistols, I own a full size M&P in 9MM and a CZ P-01 in 9mm and a Sig P239 in 9mm. I wouldn't sell or trade any of them any day and I carry the Sig everyday.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
There is no one size fits all. It all depends on your use, your experience, size of your hands...blah blah blah.

Pretty much this.  If you go to a gun store or gun show, handle a few of them and see which ones feel good in your hand (not just holding it, but working all of the controls too like magazine release, slide release, safeties, trigger/trigger pull, manipulating the slide, etc).  Also make sure that you can quickly acquire the sights - they should be easy to find and easy to see in a variety of lighting conditions. Sights are something that can usually be corrected with aftermarket parts if need be, most of the other stuff needs to be good from the outset.

If your shop has a range and rentals, maybe you could try some of them out or if you have any friends with guns they might be willing to hit the range with a few different pistols.  As long as you get one that is from a decent manufacturer and it feels good in your hands, you should be OK

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions i am probably going to get a 9MM or 380 since it wont have as much recoil and it will be cheaper to shoot.  I will definately try them out to see which feels the best when I go to the store.  What is a 'decent manufacturer' and what are ones that I should avoid?  I am on a budget so I probably wont get those expensive ones you talked about!  I don't think I need a rail for lights or lasers or things like that.  I should be starting a good job soon and I hope to be able to afford to buy more.  I would like to eventually be good enough to shoot in competitions but I think that is a ways down the road both because of my skill and because competition guns would probably be too much money.

Offline stuffbymichele

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
Don't make the mistake I made! I bought something because the gun I REALLY wanted couldn't be had and I don't like it. I'm going to try a new grip and hope that solves my issue.

I've been looking for a while though. I have a Ruger GP100 but it's way too big for carry.

I totally agree with renting and trying friend's guns. I tried a Sig P232 recently and really liked it. I'm going to rent one to make sure before spending any more money though!

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
What gun did you want and what one did you get?  Did you shoot them before you bought it?

Are keltec 9mm pistols OK? I like the way the look and they are small if I want to carry it and the price is cheaper than others, a lot less than the $500 price said above.

Offline stuffbymichele

• GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
What gun did you want and what one did you get?  Did you shoot them before you bought it?

I wanted a Ruger SP101, but I ended up with a Ruger LCR. I'm too impatient. I didn't shoot it first, which was really stupid on my part. It's much lighter than I realized. Several other people shot it and liked it.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
Good advice from all.  Let us know what you end up getting.

Offline CiLH

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Why not take a gun safety & introduction to shooting class first?

There are many firearm dealers who offer 1st time shooters classes where the students get a chance to tryout several types, models & makes of handguns.  For all you know, you may fall in love with a selection that you hadn't even considered.

And gun safety can never be emphasized too much  8)

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
I did take a basic safety class but it was byog so I only shoot the gun my friend brought for me.  It was an xdm?  It was ok but I don't think that is wht I want for my gun.  Some ppl were telling me that a revolver is better than a auto due to being safer and reliable, is that true?  After I started looking more at what to buy there are so many choices I don't know what to get.  I am not even sure I want a pistol instead of a longgun anymore.  So many choices!

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
I have been looking around and talked to friends about guns and ammo prices and how hard it is to get ammo and I ended up geting a walter 22 pistol since it would be cheapest to shoot.  Maybe once I have had it and shot for awhile I will get better at shooting and have a idea of what I want in my next gun.  Thanks for suggestions everyone!

Offline BugJugger

• GunLink Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Glock of course!

You're welcome :)

Offline noobgunner

• GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
Way too expensive!  Im still looking at Keltec pistols for something bigger than a 22.

Offline mukluk

• GunLink Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »
Glock of course!

You're welcome :)

Get a good one the first time and it will last you.

Offline ddanno

• GunLink Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
I too feel that you would be over paying if you got the glock. It is much extra money for not much extra gun. You could get another gun and have money left over to put toward another gun or even buy a whole other gun depending on what you get. Between my work and just being vigilant in every day life I always have at least two and sometimes up to four (that you might know about) firearms on my person in addition to some knifes. The Walther may be fun at the range but it is not very good for using to defend your life and the people around you. It is like hunting you want something that will do the job and if you cannot make a clean kill you should not go into the forest in the first place. If you carry a gun you have to be willing to use it to protect yourself and others and actually stop a dangerous threat with it instead of just making an attacker more mad. The smallest I would even look at is a 380 but 9mm is better although still borderline. I will carry a 380 Taurus TCP but only ever as a backup gun since 380 does not have much stopping power so I never ONLY carry that gun.  My main carry is a Taurus 24/7 and that is almost how often I have it with me. I actually have two of them because they are very good guns. I have a 45 and a 9 and I would rather carry the 45 since it is a bigger round but I carry the 9 more often because the 45 gets heavy and has less rounds. I always have the TCP in a pocket or tucked into my boot while my main carry is carried on my left hip.  If my 24/7s are too big or too heavy I might carry another smaller semi auto and add a 38 Charter or Taurus 85 to what I am carrying either in another pocket or in a bag. Just as important as getting a gun that will do the job you have to actually carry the gun too. A 50 Desert Eagle will stop a bad guy but most people can not or would not carry one around. Ammo is important too. I usually have Federal Hydro Shock or RIP rounds in my main gun. In my backup TCP I carry FMJ rounds to make sure that they penetrate deep enough since 380 is not very powerful to start with.

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
24/7 is one of the few decent shooting guns that taurus made.
Hope yours wasn't one of the 100,000 24/7 that were part of the million gun recall and your TCP isn't one of the problematic ones.
Taurus is not as bad as some brands but I would carry my s&w or a glock or a sig or whatever over a taurus any day. If I had to use it I want to know that it will work.

Offline WolfgangKrause

• GunLink Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
Hands down in my opinion is the Mosin Nagant 91/30. back in the day you can get them for $80 now about $385-$400 but can out shoot a lot of the budget bolt actions.

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
Besides OP asking about a handgun, Mosin Nagant is a terrible first gun. It's not back in the day anymore like you said they're $400 now. They're huge, heavy, hard to find, harder to find in good shape, and expensive. Ammo went up in price and got hard to find just like the rifles did. The recoil probably isn't something a new shooter will appreciate. If you want a scope on it be ready to pay the gunsmith more than you paid for the rifle.  If something goes wrong with it, they're 70-100 years old and don't have a warranty.  Almost no aftermarket.

I don't think it has one quality I would look for in a first gun to recommend someone.