!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What holster is best for conceal carry?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline deslafriro

• GunLink Member
What holster is best for conceal carry?
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
Greetings gun people!  I got a question about conceal carry for you. 
I've had my ccp for about 6 months now but I just got a pistol last
month that is small enough to cc and want to start carrying it.  I've
had guns for a long time but haven't ever carried one with me so I
don't know anything about holsters or how to carry.  What is best
for conceal carry?  When I look at the gun store or on line there are
so many choices and I don't know what to get. 

GunLink Discussion Forums

What holster is best for conceal carry?
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
Re: What holster is best for conceal carry?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
There are a lot of options and as far as i can tell. Find one thats comfortable that fits your needs. GunLink has reviewed a few different holsters

http://gunlink.info/forums/index.php?topic=1331.0

http://blog.gunlink.info/2013/03/07/self-securing-sticky-holsters-provide-flexible-carry-options/

http://blog.gunlink.info/2014/05/07/out-of-this-world-holsters-from-alien-gear/

Here is our full review of N82: http://blog.gunlink.info/2014/03/14/n82-offers-range-of-comfortable-innovative-holsters/

Also, Alien Gear has added some new holsters since our original review, including the Cloak Tuck 2.0 and Cloack Tuck 3.0 (different backing materials) and two OWB models, including the new Alien Gear Cloak Mod paddle holster.

Massad Ayoob also has some holster and clothing advice for CCW

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSjFieSpBc[/youtube]

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
That's sort of like asking which shoe is best to wear.  The best holster for you depends on a lot of factors and we need details before we can narrow it down. What gun are you going to carry?  How do you usually dress?  What do you do (work, activities, driving, etc.)? 

Do you want retention or not (prevents pistol from falling out or being grabbed by someone else, but it's something else to have to think about when you draw it from the holster).

It should be comfortable for you to wear for long periods in your normal clothes and doing your normal routine.  It should also fit your pistol well, not allow the pistol to flop around in the holster or fall out.

Do you want to carry inside the waistband, outside waistband, in a pocket, on your ankle, off body, or what?  There are probably thousands of holsters for each style of carry.  You'll probably end up with a big pile of holsters that are OK and one or two that you like and use often.

Offline deslafriro

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
Hoping to avoid the big pile of holsters and go right for the one
that works best right away.  I got a Glock 43 to carry.  I hope to
find a good holster soon so I can start carrying it with me.  I
usually wear regular clothes like khakis and a tucked polo shirt
so nothing like a suit or anything.  I am thinking about pocket
carry but I think it's too big for that and even if it fit the outline
would show through, so inside the waistband I guess.  Can you
still tuck in your shirt over a holster?

Offline masfonos

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
Unless you wear pretty baggy clothes, I would think that a G43 would be on the big side for pocket carry.  I'm a big guy and even an LCP, if I'm not wearing the right clothes, is obviously a pistol in my pocket.  In a jacket pocket or cargo pants pocket, it might be OK, but I think it would be uncomfortable and obvious in a pants pocket.  On the other hand, I know of people who do carry that way. 

If you're going to pocket carry, definitely always use a holster meant for that, don't just toss it in a pocket.  The holster protects gunk from getting inside the action, keeps your fingers and other stuff out of the trigger guard, and helps keep it oriented correctly and helps break up the outline.

There are IWB holsters that you can tuck a shirt over and ones that you can't tuck over.  It just depends on on the style of holster.  Most of my IWB holsters are tuckable, but I usually don't tuck my shirt.  I think it's more comfortable and it helps conceal the pistol better. 

You can try to avoid it, but unless you get luck on the first try you're gonna end up with the pile.  I like my Alien Gear and that's what I use the most.  They're cheap enough to experiment with and if you don't like it, you can send it back within 30 days.

Offline Prada

• GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
For me, the best holster goes by the brand-name Thunderwear. It's totally excellent and accommodates the greatest variety of clothing and conditions.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:07:18 AM by Prada »

Offline leadfarmer

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
Comptac Infidel