!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: "Other" Survival Skills?  (Read 8470 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
"Other" Survival Skills?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »
Has anyone thought about what other skills, talents, etc may be needed in the event of a long-term survival need, like the red-dawn-zombie-apocalypse? So many items we use in every day life (bread, cheese, yogurt, butter, knives, washing machines, dish washers, clean water, hot water etc) used to be made hand or done by hand. Electricity,grocery stores and so forth made the need for these skills almost obsolete. What do you think will be important? Useful? or a necessity?

I figure in the event of the red-dawn-zombie-apocalypse, I'm going to useless in hunting and cleaning game and I'm a terrible gardnerer, I will need to earn my keep another way. So, I've been learning how to make yogurt and I've been keeping a sour dough bread starter going (though, I think I need to start over). Both are pretty easy and I've been reading up on cheese making and trying to figure out how to make whey butter. Hopefully, that will be helpful.

GunLink Discussion Forums

"Other" Survival Skills?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
    • Best of the best tactical gear and boots
Re: "Other" Survival Skills?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
I'm learning how to make alcohol.  That should come in useful for medicine and stuff......
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

http://jammgear.com/
http://tacticalfl.com

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
very handy. I know the basics in theory. Sourdough bread uses a "mash" of flour, sugar, and yeast rather than corn, malted barely, and rye/wheat in a lot of whiskeys.

I'm trying to find a decent book on herbal "remedies" and the such, like marigolds are supposed to keep insects out of your garden, oregano has anti-microbial properties, cinnamon is a preservative (better than salt if I recall), etc.

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
    • Best of the best tactical gear and boots
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
Any recommendations for books?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

http://jammgear.com/
http://tacticalfl.com

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
I haven't found any yet. I just learned that Cody Lundin from Dual Survivor on Discovery has a couple of books. He's big into primitive skills and using what's readily available. My local library has one of his books. I just haven't gotten it out yet.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
Any recommendations for books?

My dad has always talked about the Foxfire series of books.  They're not really survival or prepping books per se but they're more along the lines of traditional Appalachian skills and a lot of it would be good info for various survival situations

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
I pick up random bits of skill and info here and there that could be useful.  Communication stuff like signaling and comms (how radios work, useful CB channels and ham freqs), how to make stuff from scratch or out of parts from other stuff, lockpicking, what you can and can't eat from the woods (at least the woods around where I usually am), lots of ways to make fire, water filters, etc, how to make and use tools and stuff like that.   A lot of it could be useful for stuff like camping or if your car breaks down, other stuff is of limited use if you're in normal situations but could be good if things go bad.  Knowing how to "read" people is a good skill to have in just about any situation.

Offline DougInDeep

• GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
It is interesting to hear different people's take on "survival skills."  If you are alive then you must be using survival skills everyday.  Survival and prepping isn't just about (or even about at all) having alot of crazy gear or off the wall skills.  Things happen all the time that test portions of survival skills or readiness.  Most people have had a minor "SHTF" anything from utilities going out to minor injuries.  You take what you learn from everyday life that kept you from dieing and you store it in your memory.  People a hundred years ago didn't worry about prepping that was just how they lived.  They knew how to take care of themselves and they kept supplies on hand.  The reason that it all went to hell and that prepping is so popular now is because everyone is so used to being able to run to the store every day or to the doctor everytime they feel under the weather or call someone to fix it everytime something goes wrong. 
Sure there are probablyy edge cases where everything collapses and it is good to be thinking about it and how to be ready for long term survival but most people jump right to trying to prep for that without building a foundation for basic survival.  My 2 cents.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »
Agreed.  My boyfriend has been trying to teach me orienteering. Not going so well.  He also tried teaching me to hunt - also didn't go so well.

So, I'm focusing on what I do know and expanding that a little more. I'm good with basic first aid and CPR. I got bread making down pretty good and I can make yogurt cheese (working on adding to that). I'm also working on plant identification. I would like to find good information about how certain chemicals/reagents were made back in the day. For instance, ammonia is now a mass-produced multipurpose cleaner/disinfectant you can buy at any store. I do know that if you boil deer antlers, you get a dilute ammonia solution. Things like that I want to know, but I don't necessarily know where to find some of that information.

Offline canon6

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
Plus 1 ,on the Foxfire series of books.A lot of really great info from folks who lived the way we may have to,once again.Doug
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:21:13 AM by canon6 »
A armed man is his own master

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:38:06 AM »
I've been learning to make fabric through crocheting and knitting. figured making useful things might be helpful. I haven't ventured into actual clothing yet, but I'm getting ready to start with socks. Instead, I've been focusing on blankets and small household items, like washcloths.

I just finished my first afghan.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:53:40 AM by LivingDeadGirl »

Offline heavy

• marketplace
  • Leon Heavy
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »
He ain't heavy...

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Thought about that one, but it was my first pattern and the cannon was a lot easier. I'm working on a Gadsen flag now. Still trying to figure out the best way to do the color changes.