!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: BB Gun - Firearm?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
BB Gun - Firearm?
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/09/a-bb-gun-is-a-firearm-court-rules/

Just came across this article from September of last year - Minnesota courts ruled a BB gun is a firearm. The man that was convicted of having the BB gun illegally argued that the definition of a firearm from the Webster dictionary, which is a "weapon  from  which  a  shot  is  discharged  by gunpowder", does not include a BB gun since gunpowder is not used. However, a case from 1988, concluded that a gas-propelled BB gun was a firearm, stating "...defines “firearms” for purposes of game and fish laws as “any gun from which shot or a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, gas, or compressed air.”

The court also said that they asked the State Legislature in 2006 to address the vague wording, but they have not. So the precedent stands, which is that a BB gun is a firearm. The man then argued that BB guns are toys and the the Minnesota court ruled that paintball guns, which are gas-propelled, are not firearms since they are toys. The court decided that paintball guns are not intended to cause bodily harm and that they cause pain the same way a snow ball may cause pain, but BB guns are designed to cause bodily harm.

So, if you own an airsoft gun - be careful.

GunLink Discussion Forums

BB Gun - Firearm?
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »

Offline Franco S. Cruz

• GunLink Member
    • Accurately Shooting
Re: BB Gun - Firearm?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 04:55:03 AM »
I ordered a full auto bb gun from the back cover ads in some magazine,I don't remember the name of it, But it used a can of Freon for propellent, And held about 100 bb's. Had about a 12 in. barrel. I had the gun for years and one day it was just gone, To this day I have no Idea what happened to it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:44:54 PM by GunLink »